Friday 11 February 2011

Get emacs24 for linux now

--8<---Get EMACS24 Begins--->8--

Using debian so the following may need adjustment for other distros.

** # To install development Version of Emacs install the following
agi is an alias in my .bashrc for apt-get install in your favourite editor edit ~/.bashrc
then type:
alias agi='apt-get install'
saves you I meant me typeing...
agi lsb-rpm lintian binutils-multiarch libtext-template-perl
agi planner-el bbdb blosxom vm w3m-el gnuserv gnus
agi remember-el easypg org-mode
agi libwx-perl-datawalker-perl libwx-perl-dialog-perl libwx-perl-processstream-perl
libwx11-0 libwx11-0-dbg libwx11-dev libwxbase2.6-0 libwxbase2.6-dbg libwxbase2.6-dev
libwxbase2.8-0 libwxbase2.8-dbg libwxbase2.8-dev libwxgtk2.6-0 libwxgtk2.6-dbg
libwxgtk2.6-dev libwxgtk2.8-0 libwxgtk2.8-dbg libwxgtk2.8-dev libwxsmithlib0
libwxsmithlib0-dev libwxsvg-dev libwxsvg0 libwx-perl wx-common libfaad-dev libgsm1-dev
libogg-dev libschroedinger-dev libspeex-dev libtheora-dev libvorbis-dev libraw1394-dev
libdc1394-22-dev wx2.6-doc wx2.8-doc liborc-0.4-doc libraw1394-doc
The following will have to be installed before trying to compile emacs or the trunk.
agi xul-ext-adblock-plus conkeror conkeror-spawn-process-helper
agi imagemagick imagemagick-dbg imagemagick-doc libmagick++-dev libmagick++3 libmagickcore3
libmagickwand3 perlmagick gambas2-gb-image tex4ht tex4ht-common goby
nautilus-image-converter php5-imagick python-pythonmagick python-vipscc
agi libgif-dev libgif4 libgift-dev libgift0 libgiftproto-dev libgiftproto0 giflib-tools
libgif-dev libgif4 libtiff-doc libtiff-tools libtiff4 libtiff4-dev libtiffxx0c2
libtiff-opengl pngtools optipng pngcrush
agi cl-clg cl-launch cl-modlisp cl-swank clisp clisp-dev clisp-doc slime stumpwm bison-doc
db4.8-doc rlwrap sbcl sbcl-doc sbcl-source

# for myconfig install pythonmacs and ropemacs
agi python-ropemacs python-rope python-mysqldb python-pygments python-svn-dbg
python-mysqldb-dbg ttf-bitstream-vera python-gdbm-dbg python-tk-dbg
python-egenix-mxdatetime-dbg qct

From term Type: bzr branch bzr://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/emacs/trunk
this will Download the trunk of the latest Emacs in a folder near YOU then to compile
cp -R /home/<your-home-folder>/trunk /usr/local/emacs-24.0.50/
cd /usr/local/emacs-24.0.50/
Start compile
(a little note you may need to run
sudo sh autogen.sh
or if logged in as root
sh autogen.sh) you should be ready now run or type
./configure
# As I'd already run ./configure I run the following to restart afresh
make distclean && ./configure
make
src/emacs -Q
# to test the freshly installed eMacs24
make install
make clean
# I could no longer find src/emacs I later found it in
ls -l /usr/local/bin/emacs-24.0.50
there you have it from now on run
/usr/local/bin/emacs-24.0.50

This gives you emacs-24.0.50.1 with CEDET, Auto-complete, pymacs, rope-macs,YASnippet, org-mode and the rest of the kitchen sink.


If you get any ERRORs please post the info in your comments I will do my best to help you.



--8<---Get EMACS24 Ends--->8--

9 comments:

  1. This mostly worked for me on ubuntu 11.04 natty narwhal, just a couple discrepancies and/or errors that didn't stop me from continuing:

    Could not find package libwx-perl-dialog-perl

    I didn't even try these because of another thread I saw that they couldn't be found, and they're just the conkeror browser anyway:

    agi xul-ext-adblock-plus conkeror conkeror-spawn-process-helper

    I skipped the pymacs and ropemacs because I don't use it.

    I need this:

    agi bzr

    And I had to add an "r" directory above emacs/trunk so:

    bzr branch bzr://bzr.svannah.gnu.org/r/emacs/trunk

    I needed to "sudo sh autogen.sh" before doing "sudo ./configure", and of course not being root I sudo'd everything (alias agi='sudo apt-get install' and sudo before any of the copies and commands to "./configure" and "make install" in /usr/local.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Anon for that texinfo info appreciate that I don't know if you got that mail with the rest of the apt shortcuts I'll post it here just in case.
    alias ag='apt-get'
    alias acs='apt-cache search'
    alias agu='apt-get update'
    alias agug='apt-get upgrade'
    alias agi='apt-get install'
    alias agr='apt-get remove'
    alias agf='apt-get install -f'
    alias dint='dpkg -i'
    alias difo='dpkg -i --force-overwrite'
    alias difa='dpkg -i --force -architecture'
    #alias akg='apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --keyserver-options http-proxy="http://<servername>:<port>" $1'
    alias akg='apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com $1'
    export PATH=$PATH:./:~/bin

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also forgot I got a "makeinfo >= 4.6 not found" so I had to
    "agi texinfo" to fix that before running
    "sudo ./configure".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Works great. Thanks for this detailed procedure.

    I've just noticed that "/usr/local/share/info" appears twice in `Info-directory-list' and thus in `Info-default-directory-list'.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry for the stupid question - is this the GTK version?

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is not stupid but I do think it is the gtk version, why do you ask? I don't think it matters on what linuX distro or platform you run once you compile it will be compatible.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for posting. This is another very easy guide to follow: http://batsov.com/articles/2011/10/09/getting-started-with-emacs-24/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the comment if there's anything else you would like to see on here please let me know,just hoping it's helped.

    ReplyDelete
  9. just found out if you don't have makeinfo on ubuntu install texinfo as it provides the right version of makeinfo so you agi texinfo. I approached or tried aliening a deb 64bitrpm of texinfo and whoA nearly broke my system so just apt-get install texinfo you'll be ok.

    ReplyDelete

I allow anonymous comments please keep this blog clean